Friday, March 2, 2012

How it all started

During January of my sophomore year, I found out about an indoor sprint triathlon that raised money for epilepsy research and decided to go for it.  Epilepsy research is really important to me and my family because about five years ago, my uncle, who had epilepsy since he was a teenager, passed away due to a grand mal seizure.  I ended up raising almost $2000 by the time I completed my triathlon in March and finished in 6th place out of around 50 female participants.

I decided to participate in this triathlon again this year.  It took place on February 25th, and I finished in 13th out of 79 female participants.  I didn't do as well this time around but I really didn't train as hard.  Sometime in the end of January, I decided I was going to pick some summer tri's and do this thing for real.  So I started surfing the web for info on triathletes.

A few weeks ago, I bought a couple of books about triathlons, one of which contains week-by-week training plans for every triathlon distance (sprint, Olympic, Half-Ironman, Ironman) and every level of intensity (levels 1-10; 1-3 is beginner, 4-7 intermediate, 8-10 way too hardcore for me).  I decided to use an intermediate level Olympic distance training plan.  I know I should have started with beginner but since I'm already an athlete, and I recently did an indoor sprint triathlon, I figured I could handle the intermediate levels.  The jury is still out on that decision though.

Because the training plan for an Olympic tri is 16 weeks long, I start my official training next week.  However, I decided I should wet my feet a little this week get the feel of how to fit two workouts a day into my already busy schedule.  I'm not going to lie, its been pretty hard.  I already have a full course load, 2 jobs working 25-30 hours a week, and actively participate in a sorority and a handful of clubs.  I was hoping my time management skills would allow me to fit these workouts in and still get some sleep, but I was dreaming.

With my days filled with school and work, and my nights filled with group meetings, I essentially have to wake up at 5:45am in order to make it to work in time.  I can't stress this enough--I am not a morning person--so I'm not a happy camper waking up any earlier than 9am.  But maybe by the end of this 16 weeks, I'll learn to love it.  Maybe.

Anyway, I've rambled on long enough so I'll wrap this up.  I will begin logging my workouts once the training  program has officially started.  Feel free to comment and send me some happy vibes to get me through my workouts!

~Kim

No comments:

Post a Comment